Manage your stress and improve your emotional intelligence - Step 2 Identify calming mechanisms
Tuesday - March15 , 2011 Filed in: Spirit
The best way to reduce stress quickly is through the senses: through sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch. But each person responds differently to sensory input, so you need to find things that are soothing to you. Today try one of these soothing techniques when you notice you are using your stress trigger mentioned in the last post.
Taking a Break at Work: While at work, make time for a mini-retreat from the stress.
- Practice muscle relaxation by tightening, then loosening muscles progressively from your feet to your head.
- Play soothing, meditative, music through your headphones.
- Have a soothing scent nearby that you can sniff, like a nice bar of soap or scented sticks.
- Keep a calendar at your desk with serene scene's that you can gaze at and imagine lying in the photo with warm sunshine on your face.
- If you don't have an office space then take your break time to close your eyes and imagine a calming scene.
- Take time to do something creative like draw or doodle.
Other stress releasing ideas:
- Get some exercise. This is one of the best stress busting activities which will help your physical and mental health.
- Set aside a specific time of day for worries and only contemplate your concerns then.